[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Aug 27 14:22:42 PDT 2003

I will say -- I've been skeptical of Dean but watched a replay of his performance at the AFL-CIO and he had some of the best articulated pro-labor positions of any candidate. And his website is far more specific than any other candidate (including Kucinich) on the details of labor reform he'll do.

See http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_statement_labor

He talks about captive audience meetings, card check, extending labor rights to farmworkers and independent contractors, and speeding up NLRB elections.

So he's a bit more than a DLC darling; in many ways the media is so blissfully ignorant on labor issues that they don't notice that Dean is promising as much to labor as Gephardt.

-- Nathan Newman