[lbo-talk] Re: uniforms

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Aug 27 14:47:09 PDT 2003

Carrol wrote:

"I'll leave for later a discussion of "pwoggies" (or "the left"), but I will suggest that this alleged contempt for popular culture, if it exists, should be ascribed to "intellectuals" in general, and that "intellectuals" and "leftists" are by no means identical."

I don't know that I ever suggested anyone should shun "popular culture." I do think the term is extremely misleading though. "Popular culture" today is largely commercial culture. Some of it has roots in popular culture -- rap, hip hop, ethnic practices -- but when it reaches your living room, through a TV set, movie, item of clothing, or other mass-produced commodity, it is no longer "popular culture"; it is simply that sliver of popular culture which the corporations have been able to assimilate to their own needs for market diversification and profit. As many people believe that their "individuality" is expressed through the choices they make when they consume, they also identify with this re-branded, processed "popular culture"...and the vicious circle expands.

I am actually shocked by the number of people on this list who equate creativity and freedom with their potential to consume. These same people then go on to say that there is no brainwashing going on in this country. I'm afraid you'll have to put me on the LBO "crank" list with Carrol and Woj because until I am able to articulate my way past shock, that's where I belong.

Joanna