[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 27 20:26:34 PDT 2003

joand315 wrote:

> He [Dean] strongly opposed the war in Iraq, but committed to not
> leaving Iraq in a mess and involving the UN.

In other words, he is committed to the classical role of the Democratic Party, the quashing of mass movements by deflecting their leadership into electoral politics.

No possible policy that leaves a foreign army in Iraq can lead to other than disaster. But although "No U.N. involvement, U.S. Out" 'ought' to be one of the core slogans of the anti-war movement, it will be a while (and many 10s or 100s of thousands of deaths) before a movement can began to coalesce around that. I think it important for at least a few of us to keep saying that however.

There is of course a large difference between Bush and Dean, and all in Dean's favor -- unfortunately they don't differ on the key issue of the next decade: U.S. out of the Mideast.

Carrol