[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

joand315 joand315 at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 27 22:35:32 PDT 2003

DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:

> Why, then, is it taking so long for Dean's Democratic message to reach
> thinking voters like Allen Potts?

That's a really good question, that I know the Dean campaign is trying to answer. He has hired Carol Mosley Braun's campaign manager, for one.

A campaign co-manager in Illinois is from a very diverse area of the Chicago suburbs and he certainly has plenty of contacts in the African American community. An African American, who was a local boy made good, spoke before Dean came up on stage. There were people of color on the stage for photo ops and Dean mentioned Bush's poor record on affirmative action, health care and jobs, in his stump speech, issues which could have appeal for many in the African American community. His stance on abortion and gay civil unions may be problematic in the African American community, as I have read and know from personal experience that black voters in this area, at any rate, are mainly socially conservative. Dean has Meetups in areas accesible to African Americans. Next week, I think, though, after much prodding we got a Meetup site in the heart of the South Suburbs of Chicago that should attract a diverse audience. We'll see. For the Chicago area, though, it will be difficult, because this is Carol Mosely Braun's home territory.

-joan