[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Aug 27 23:00:54 PDT 2003

joand wrote:

> We turned Iraq into a failed state,

Is post-invasion Iraq significantly worse off than pre-invasion Iraq? Probably (although the July opinion poll I looked at last month seemed to show that a lot of Iraqis don't share my view). But pre-invasion Iraq was already, by any reasonable measure, a "failed state." It doesn't take a Pollyanna to see how Iraq might end up a lot better off in the medium and long term future. Nor does it take a nattering nabob of negativity to see how things could get a lot worse. At this point, however, it would take a fool to unthinkingly discount either possibility.

-- Luke