[lbo-talk] 40th Anniversary March on Washington

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Aug 28 06:17:42 PDT 2003

DoreneC wrote

Just out of curiosity, did anyone on this list go to the 40th Anniversary March on Washington?

^^^^ CB: I went with my sister, son and niece. The numbers were small. I don't think it was promoted much, and it was a sort of history lesson, which is not a heavy draw, though current issues were thoroughly covered in the speeches. What have you been hearing in the media coverage ? Coretta Scott King emphasized that most of the ML King speech was a demand the America pay its debt for slavery and racism, and the dream of integration was a small part of the speech. In other words, the media and pop history softens the message.

^^^^^

Has anyone besides me been paying attention to historical commentary in broadcast media about the meaning of the original march, the I Have a Dream Speech, the amazing organizing spectacle, the resulting legislation, the general place of marches on WA.

For the record, I did not go. Seattle was blessed by the spectacle of the White House occupant attempting to be "The Salmon President" by opposing the few measures actually expected to help restore local salmon runs. There were several anti-Bush events over the weekend, but to my knowledge NO ONE organizing local events made the connection with the anniversary events in DC.

So I am checking in: did the DC events register on anyone else's radar screens?

DoreneC