[lbo-talk] Re: Sex in America

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Aug 28 18:55:48 PDT 2003

"CB: However, there is a lot of free time for fun on the weekends. And if you don't have to be to work until 9, you don't have to go to bed until 12:00 or 1:00. I'm kind of skeptical about the working class doing it less than college students. Maybe you could get some stats on condom sales. As for U.S. working class social life in general, I don't know, There are lots of bars that stay in business. I'm not persuaded of what you guess here."

Yeah, I was surprised by that survey. In fact, I just plain don't believe it. For one thing, my generation (adolescents in the late sixties/randy youth in the seventies) definitely did more than its share. Most women I know from that time number lovers from the tens to the hundreds. So, you know. There would have to be lots of enuchs in the generations following to average out to "two."

Even for the post-AIDS generation numbers weren't all that low. When I taught at SUNY Plattsburgh, students were forever coming in Mondays all woozy, and saying things like "God, I got so drunk last night, I have no idea what I did!" Other students would fill in the details about their amnesiac peers: mostly, they fucked. My son also tells me that a fair number of girls act one way sober and another way drunk. So, maybe, one reason the numbers are low is that people don't count what they do when they're drunk...cause they "don't remember."

Also, I don't think not having enough "time" matters for sex. I mean teens, people in their twenties, and people without kids can always find the time.

Joanna