[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

joand315 joand315 at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 28 19:21:19 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning wrote:

> It looks to me as though white Democratic presidential candidates
> generally have an extremely difficult time connecting with
> African-Americans, unless they really make an effort, the way Clinton
> did. The lines of communication just aren't there. OTOH,
> African-Americans seem to end up voting for the Dem candidate in the
> actual election, which may explain why most white candidates are so
> apathetic about opening up those lines.

Based on Dean's recent hiring of Carol Moseley Brauns's campaign manager and a few other African Americans to his campaign staff, I don't see how you could say he was apathetic. It's more likely that's he inept in that regard, but willing to learn.

It's not often mentioned but Al Gore had pretty good rapport with African Americans. I saw him on TV give a really rousing shirt sleeve speech African American group. He was animated he and excited and seemed very at home. I think if he could have been that way in front of white folks, he would have done better (won a bigger majority of votes) than he did. -joan

-joan