[lbo-talk] Stomping Out the Reds/Go Blue/Scarlet & Gray

Gregory Geboski greg at mail.unionwebservices.com
Thu Aug 28 20:48:39 PDT 2003

<< And speaking as an ex-professor in the phil Dept at Ohio State, let me tell you that they were not pleased to discover that in me they had hired an actual firebreading red ... >>

Meaning they only discovered it *after* they hired you? Actually, that sounds like just the kind of thing that happened at MSU--and never seems to happen at Harvard.

<< Actually, it's probably easier to be a red at an elite school, where passing acquiantance with the subversive doctrines is part of the polish that is imparted to the professionals, upper level managers, and bourgeois as part of their training, whereas it ian obvious waste of the lower technical experts' time to get that sort of gloss when he could be learning actual skills

The elite schools focus on "actual skills", too, but the skills have more to do with functioning within the ideology of the upper levels of the profession than narrow technical skills (a minor part of most legal educations anywhere, right?). And "passing acquaintance with subversive doctrines" pretty much sums up the expected level of actual commitment, no?

Anyway, if I was to continue this thread (I'd better stop, time), I'd be quoting great chunks of "Disciplined Minds" by Jeff Schmidt (cited earlier as source for the Chomsky quote), which I've just finished reading and have been enthusiastically recommending to my friends

I probably should have included the subtitle of "DM": "A critical look at salaried professionals and the soul-battering system that shapes their lives." And I recommend it even knowing beforehand that some Left author I discover for myself is probably a well-known intellectual enemy or drinking buddy of half the people on the LBO-Talk list

Here's a review in Radical Teacher:

http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/bmartin/pubs/01BRrt.html

My copy identified Schmidt as an editor at Physics Today, Make that "was":

"PHYSICS TODAY controversy: firing of Schmidt" http://www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/2001-08/msg0035101.html

One thing about proper professional training is that you learn that you usually don't need panzers to stomp out the Reds

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:21:56 -0700 (PDT)