[lbo-talk] SEx in America (was: school uniforms)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Aug 29 05:49:33 PDT 2003

> CB: However, there is a lot of free time for fun on the weekends. And
if you
> don't have to be to work until 9, you don't have to go to bed until
12:00
> or 1:00. I'm kind of skeptical about the working class doing it less
than
> college students. Maybe you could get some stats on condom sales. As
for
> U.S. working class social life in general, I don't know, There are
lots of
> bars that stay in business. I'm not persuaded of what you guess here.

You might be right. I am talking from personal experience. When I got off the boat some 22 years ago I discovered that US social life is rather dull comparing to what knew from Europe. Most of my subsequent travels are consistent with that observation.

As to the frequency of sexual encounters - I just reported what I read in an acclaimed study, but I expressed my skepticism. I think surveys are notorious for misrepresenting non-public behavior. But having said that, I think that the image of "oversexed US" is a myth - in reality the US is probably not much different from most other countries. What is different is that US-ers like to talk about sex in public, as well as use sexed-up images as a marketing tool - which tends to be less frequent elsewhere.

Wojtek