[lbo-talk] Re: money for Bechtel/the story NOT told

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 29 09:32:12 PDT 2003

Paul wrote:

>Foolishly, I missed Radio Henwood so I can't comment on Parenti's
>view until I listen on the archive.

He didn't say it on the radio - he said it over the second or third beer.

> But offhand I don't see the logic. The Bush crowd really see Iraq
>as a first step, a "demonstration effect" redefining the position of
>the 3rd world as well as relations within the richer nations. They
>have even said so. Why would they blur their own message of U.S.
>power with a mess? Not to mention the domestic embarrassment.

Yup, you've got a point. But so many things that should have been accomplished haven't been. Why did they look the other way when the "looting" was going on last April? Why haven't they guarded water mains and oil pipelines more effectively? Why was Saddam able to get the electricity running after GW I while the U.S. forces can't? There may be good answers that don't include intentional chaos-mongering, but I can't think of any.

Doug