[lbo-talk] Hey Kids! Let's Play Political Stereotypes (was, Pollitt on Dean)

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 09:52:04 PDT 2003

joand315 wrote:

As I said before, I think Dean is too socially liberal to appeal to most African American voters. His health care program and his education program and his home visit program for newborns might appeal. His program to promote small business because they won't outsource jobs might appeal. He's not the right religion, though. Clinton and Gore were both Baptists were they not. At least when they wanted to they could preach like Baptists and I think that is the right language to appeal to African American voters.

*******************

Dios Mio.

By the skull necklace of Shiva, this is a hoot!

What a pastoral scene: chubby ladies in colorful hats fanning themselves in hot, 'soulful' churches, stalwart working class men beside them, all listening with rapt attention to the candidate who can speak their "Baptist" language.

Of course, like many stereotypes this one has a foothold in some reality. But, also like most stereotypes, it simplifies to make an all encompassing point.

I grew up with just the sort of folks you're describing and can tell you that, appearances and photo-ops notwithstanding, there are quite a few African Americans who can enjoy a good show - that is, a rousing appearance at your local church by a candidate with the gift of gab - and, simultaneously, make the distinction between a good speech (or should I say sermon) and a person's history, policies and likelihood of being a friend while in office.

But what fun! This gives me an idea for a whole series of seemingly definitive statements:

* Hispanics vote for candidates who pepper their speeches with halting bits of Spanish.

* Polish voters in Chicago vote for candidates who seem to enjoy Polka and eat kielbasa

* De-ethnicised White voters in suburban districts vote for candidates who talk about grilling on the weekend and lawncare issues.

* Computer geeks vote for candidates who stress the importance of defrag for hard drive health

Yes, yes, yes, everyone claps and smiles and gives great sound bites when candidates do these things but the question is, do they base their entire voting decision on this?

Doesn't anyone vote for their considered self-interest?

DRM