[lbo-talk] Hey Kids! Let's Play Political Stereotypes (was, Pollitt on Dean)

joand315 joand315 at ameritech.net
Sat Aug 30 10:38:21 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> joand315 wrote:
>
> As I said before, I think Dean is too socially liberal
> to appeal to most African American voters. His health
> care program and his education program and his home
> visit program for newborns might appeal. His program
> to promote small business because they won't outsource
> jobs might appeal. He's not the right religion,
> though. Clinton and Gore were both Baptists were they
> not. At least when they wanted to they could preach
> like Baptists and I think that is the right language
> appeal to African American voters.
>
> *******************
>

> Dios Mio.
>

> By the skull necklace of Shiva, this is a hoot!
>

> What a pastoral scene: chubby ladies in colorful hats
> fanning themselves in hot, 'soulful' churches,
> stalwart working class men beside them, all listening
> with rapt attention to the candidate who can speak
> their "Baptist" language.

That wasn't the picture I had in mind. I was thinking of my boss and her husband, both college graduates and many of my co-workers discussing politics. I was thinking about the times they discussed thinking about voting for Republicans because they liked certain parts of their platform such a family values and education.

> Of course, like many stereotypes this one has a
> foothold in some reality. But, also like most
> stereotypes, it simplifies to make an all encompassing
> point.

I think you took my words and made them into a picture that was different than the one I was holding in my mind.

> I grew up with just the sort of folks you're
> describing and can tell you that, appearances and
> photo-ops notwithstanding, there are quite a few
> African Americans who can enjoy a good show - that is,
> a rousing appearance at your local church by a
> candidate with the gift of gab - and, simultaneously,
> make the distinction between a good speech (or should
> I say sermon) and a person's history, policies and
> likelihood of being a friend while in office.

I think that, too. But I think that Southern men have more cultural similarities with African Americans in general, and I believe it is partly based on religion.

> But what fun! This gives me an idea for a whole
> series of seemingly definitive statements:

> * Hispanics vote for candidates who pepper their
> speeches with halting bits of Spanish.

I don't think it hurts to put a little Spanish in a stump speech. It shows respect for the culture.

> * Polish voters in Chicago vote for candidates who
> seem to enjoy Polka and eat kielbasa

I don't think it hurts to show that you know how to have fun when you are trying to win votes.

> * De-ethnicised White voters in suburban districts
> vote for candidates who talk about grilling on the
> weekend and lawncare issues.

This is pretty good, but candidates do come out to the suburbs and do, in fact, hold barbecues and (gasp!) beer.

> * Computer geeks vote for candidates who stress the
> importance of defrag for hard drive health

I didn't think you had to defrag a linus hard drive.

> Yes, yes, yes, everyone claps and smiles and gives
> great sound bites when candidates do these things but
> the question is, do they base their entire voting
> decision on this?

Of course, not.

> Doesn't anyone vote for their considered
> self-interest?

Of course, people vote for their considered self-interest which is why I mentioned (in the parts your snipped) some of the things in Dean's stump speech that I thought would appeal to African-American voters. I was talking about the whole package. -joan