[lbo-talk] Re: school uniforms

Timothy Francis-Wright twright at ziplink.net
Sat Aug 30 13:06:28 PDT 2003

Ted Rall put the issue of school uniforms in two cartoons he published during 2000 (available through rall.com if you fork over some bucks for archive access to his distributor)--

[A] (Two teens walk through a mall)

Teen #1 (in "cool" garb): Yo, dude, what's with the school uniform?

Teen #2: It's a self-esteem thing...when every student wears the same thing, there aren't any class differences, everyone takes pride in their appearance free of the dictates of fashion, which allows us to excel in our studies!

Teen #1: It also indicates that you attend school in the slums.

Teen #2: And it helps the cops know who to arrest!

[B] (Assault victim looks at police line-up of four kids in school uniforms)

Victim: I don't know. I can't tell.

Teen #4 to Teen #3: We should've thought of this ages ago! (Caption: School Uniforms Gain Acceptance)

--tim francis-wright ...i'm a spirit in a materialist world...