[lbo-talk] Baghdad: 35 Murders\The UN role

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 30 13:22:15 PDT 2003

At 2:40 PM -0400 8/30/03, Paul wrote:
>>Abolish the UN Security Council -- Let Democracy Prevail through
>>the General Assembly.
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>I know the spirit you meant in a one-liner. And you probable know
>well what I am about to say. So forgive me, I am feeling earnest.
>
>1) The G.A., in today's climate, would probably produce something
>worse that the S.C. (and, of course democracy is a vote by people
>not governments). We have to remember what a new world it is and
>that only a handful of governments from large countries will oppose
>the U.S. if their interests are not immediately threatened. (To be
>precise the G.A. would produce a resolution larded with lots of fine
>language as a cover, but would leave the specific levers of power in
>the hands of the U.S.)

Take a look at the UN SC and GA Resolutions from 2002-2003.

UN SC Resolutions: 2003, <http://www.un.org/Docs/sc/unsc_resolutions03.html>; 2002, <http://www.un.org/Docs/scres/2002/sc2002.htm> UN GA Resolutions: 57th Session, 2002-2003, <http://www.un.org/Depts/dhl/resguide/r57.htm>

I don't see any GA Resolutions that are worse than SC Resolutions on the same or related subjects. What's bad in the bad GA Resolutions originates in their reaffirmations of the bad SC Resolutions, whereas what's good in the good GA Resolutions is completely missing from all SC resolutions.

No GA Resolution from 2002-2003, however, is as good as one of my favorite GA Resolutions -- A/RES/44/240:

***** United Nations A/RES/44/240 General Assembly Distr. GENERAL 29 December 1989

ORIGINAL: ENGLISH

A/RES/44/240 88th plenary meeting 29 December 1989

Effects of the military intervention by the United States of America in Panama on the situation in Central America

The General Assembly,

Taking note of the statements made in the General Assembly and the Security Council regarding the invasion of Panama,

Reaffirming the sovereign and inalienable right of Panama to determine freely its social, economic and political system and to develop its international relations without any form of foreign intervention, interference, subversion, coercion or threat,

Recalling that, in accordance with Article 2, paragraph 4, of the Charter of the United Nations, all Member States shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any State, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations,

Reaffirming the need to restore conditions which will guarantee the full exercise of the human rights and fundamental freedoms of the Panamanian people,

Expressing its profound concern at the serious consequences the armed intervention by the United States of America in Panama might have for peace and security in the Central American region,

1. Strongly deplores the intervention in Panama by the armed forces of the United States of America, which constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and of the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of States;

2. Demands the immediate cessation of the intervention and the withdrawal from Panama of the armed invasion forces of the United States;

3. Demands also full respect for and strict observance of the letter and spirit of the Torrijos-Carter Treaties;

4. Calls upon all States to uphold and respect the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Panama;

5. Requests the Secretary-General to monitor the developments in Panama and to report to the General Assembly within twenty-four hours after the adoption of the present resolution.

<http://www.un.org/documents/ga/res/44/a44r240.htm> *****

At 2:40 PM -0400 8/30/03, Paul wrote:
>One needs to keep people focused on the principles as our goal -
>they are the honorable and traditional principles of
>self-determination and non-interference.

No disagreement here. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>