[lbo-talk] Iraqi public opinion

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Sat Aug 30 17:20:20 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> Christian Parenti should have told Iraqis that, as
> the US ruling class and governing elite refuse to
> invest in the US electrical grids and therefore can't
> even secure power supply for Americans, Iraqis
> will be waiting for a long time for electricity under
> the US occupation.

If what happened in the US two weeks ago was all they had to endure to get the security, electricity, and water we have, I bet Iraqis would be ecstatic.

> It's already a total chaos -- otherwise, Iraqis whom
> Christian Parenti met wouldn't be pining for what
> they don't have and what foreign occupiers can't
> supply: water, electricity, and basic security.

It's the difference between bad and worse, and many Iraqis can tell the difference. They're having to accept that an illegitimate government is better than none at all. That's not borne of naivete on their part, quite the opposite.

> That is no surprise, as the Iraqi Communist Party is a
> member of the US-appointed Iraqi Governing Council.

That's not a self-evidently bad thing. Simply because they work within the Iraqi Governing Council is not evidence that they are tethered to the US like marionettes. Many of the participants in the council have been skeptical of just what the US will allow them to do, but they also reject an abstinence only policy. To outline the current limits of the IGC's authority is one thing, but guilt by association is entirely another. At this point it looks as though the IGC could go many different directions: irrelevance, facade, US tool, or an institution that ultimately has some power and independence. The nation's flux is too great to tell.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!