[lbo-talk] UN GA Resolution 1514 (XV) (14 December 1960)

Paul paul_ at igc.org
Sat Aug 30 19:13:48 PDT 2003

Yoshi writes:

> As anti-colonial struggles grew in strength worldwide, the United
> Nations General Assembly began to issue anti-colonial resolutions based
> upon the purposes and principles of the United Nations:
>
>***** Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries
>and Peoples
>Adopted by General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960

Yoshi: I don't know if you know just how much you hit the nail on the head. Many of the people who lead the "better" UN missions had direct personal experience in the U.N. of the Declonization effort. Ahtisaari in Namibia; Ahmed in Cambodia. Even the earlier vision of the Peacekeepers (Urqurhart with Ralph Bunche, head of Decolonization). Of course the deeper balance of political forces allowed those experiences to be expressed. But that was then...