[lbo-talk] Pollitt on Dean

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Aug 31 07:07:59 PDT 2003

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 01:12 AM, joand315 wrote:

> Bobby Kennedy
> Franklin Roosevelt
> Harry Truman - I guess that's borderline since he's from Missouri
>
> off the top of my head
> and it's not hard to see why they got that kind of support. They did
> things that tangibly improved the lives of African Americans in this
> country.

About RFK, I don't quite remember what specific things he did, other than be the AG when the Kennedy administration was pressured into taking some pro-civil rights steps by the movement. Apparently, though, the movement did bring about quite a change of heart in him, from being on the right wing of the Kennedy clan to being a sincere civil-rights advocate, which he backed up with his considerable rhetorical powers, much greater than Jack's, IMHO.

FDR, of course, was the hero of the whole working class in the Depression. And Harry issued the armed forces desegregation order.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx