[lbo-talk] 'Down with America' chants crowd as Shia Muslims mourn dead

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 09:01:42 PDT 2003

'Down with America' chants crowd as Shia Muslims mourn dead

By Damien McElroy in Najaf (Filed: 31/08/2003)

Packed into buses, pick-up trucks, taxis and cars, an estimated 500,000 mourners descended on the holy city of Najaf yesterday for the burial of Iraq's leading Shia cleric who was among at least 80 people killed by a car bomb on Friday.

From dawn, a ceaseless stream of traffic clogged the roads around the sprawling cemetery of mud brick tombs. Devastated followers of Ayatollah Mohammed Baqer al-Hakim walked the final mile to the sacred shrine of Imam Ali where the huge blast claimed the life of the key American ally.

The crowds beat their chests in sorrow and denounced the American-led occupation of Iraq. Chants of "down with America" filled the air as two white lorries carried away the charred remains of the cars used in the attack. Some carried coffins wrapped in black shrouds bearing verses from the Koran.

In turn abject and ecstatic, mourners demanded that Iraqi Shi'ites seize control of the country. "We cannot remain silent any more," said Hassan Abu Ali. "We must do something I will not allow our enemies to sleep peacefully any more."

[...]

full at

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/08/31/wirq131.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/08/31/ixhome.html