[lbo-talk] *Materialism and Empirio-Criticism*

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 09:37:10 PDT 2003

Scientific
>realism -- realism about the spacetime manifold,
>quarks and muons, genes and chromosomes -- has not a
>trace of common sense to it. jks

We should keep in mind, I thin, that "common sense" is a social construct. It was common sense in Augustine's time to believe in salamanders that live in fire (see the argument refuting the idea that the fires of Hell will not consume the bodies of the damned in the City of God). Action at a distance -- gravity -- is common sense today, but was thought to be loony tunes in the 1600s.

_________________________________________________________________ Get MSN 8 and help protect your children with advanced parental controls. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental