[lbo-talk] * Materialism and Empirio-Criticism*

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Sun Aug 31 10:56:21 PDT 2003

> From: "Chris Doss"
>
> Scientific
> >realism -- realism about the spacetime manifold,
> >quarks and muons, genes and chromosomes -- has not a
> >trace of common sense to it. jks
> >

> We should keep in mind, I think, that "common sense" is a social construct.
> It was common sense in Augustine's time to believe in salamanders that live
> in fire (see the argument refuting the idea that the fires of Hell will not
> consume the bodies of the damned in the City of God). Action at a distance
> -- gravity -- is common sense today, but was thought to be loony tunes in
> the 1600s.

^^^^^^^^^ CB: Spacetime manifold, quarks, and genes aren't common sense. ( Well, actually, the notion of human inheritance through "blood" is common sense)

But Lenin-Sokol-Bricmont vs Bishop Berkeley, materialism vs idealism-solopsism, i.e. that there is an objective world, external reality ,to our minds that our minds don't just create, is common sense. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030831/b918dbd1/attachment.htm>