[lbo-talk] Re: Baghdad: 35 Murders A Day

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 31 12:57:10 PDT 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>At 10:39 AM -0400 8/30/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>>Still, it's something constructive to ask for. I'm open to better
>>>suggestions.
>>
>>Abolish the UN Security Council -- Let Democracy Prevail through
>>the General Assembly.
>
>Which will get the electricity and water running in Iraq, right?
>
>Doug

No; the General Assembly, however, would sooner come to the conclusion that the business of running Iraq belongs to Iraqis than the Security Council would. It's not as if Iraqis didn't know how to get electricity and water running:

***** The New York Times August 7, 2003, Thursday, Late Edition - Final SECTION: Section A; Page 10; Column 1; Foreign Desk LENGTH: 924 words HEADLINE: AFTER THE WAR: THE RUMOR MILL; G.I.'s Have X-Ray Vision. Of Course. BYLINE: By JOHN TIERNEY DATELINE: BAGHDAD, Iraq, Aug. 6

. . . Frustration seems to feed many of the rumors. Why would the builders of smart bombs and X-ray sunglasses take longer to restore power than Mr. Hussein did after the 1991 Persian Gulf war? The Americans must be withholding electricity as revenge for the attacks on soldiers. People swear there have been Army vehicles driving around with signs announcing that power will be restored when the attacks stop. . . . ***** -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>