[lbo-talk] "Dead wrong"

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 1 05:37:18 PST 2003

I've enjoyed this thread ("Bolshevik-Bashing -- The Point"). Thanks for all the input.

Including Bill's post that I'm replying to, here. Just one thing I'd like to highlight, quickly, as I don't have time for anything else.

Bill wrote:

> So you and Doug are dead wrong.

The only thing I've ever found "dead wrong" are statements that something is "dead wrong."

It takes an extreme kind of statement to qualify for the badge of Dead Wrong.

Saying someone _is_ merely alienates -- which you are arguing against, Bill, in your own post.

If you read the above chaps in their entirety, and not in isolation on some point, they are complex and nuanced people. I've never seen them write anything that is "dead wrong." I disagree sometimes, but I understand what they are saying.

The most unsavory part of email lists is having to keep the faith that others will know your opinions in their full array. But what else can you do without that faith? Append your entire screed to each post?

Ken.

P.S. If you find my post above dead wrong, please see my "General Statement of Principles of Ken Campbell," section 78, sub 5(g) for clarification.

-- How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature which interest him in the fortune of others and render their happiness necessary to him though he derives nothing from it except the pleasure of seeing it.

-- Adam Smith, 1759

The Theory of Moral Sentiments