[lbo-talk] RE: Power

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 06:10:38 PST 2003

Joanna wrote:

Figuring out how to organize human societies without the worship of power would be the most radical and deep development in the whole of human history.

In this regard, I think that some of what the anti-globalization movement is doing, what the Zapatistas are doing, what some anarchists are doing...is very interesting and deserving of study and thought.

The Zapatista's innovations in self-governance are their most intriguing feature in my opinion.

I was a very young man when the Chiapas rebellion occured so, as the Zapatistas came to my attention, it was, you might say, the romance of the AK47 - of the oppressed putting an expression of shock and surprise on the faces of the powerful and their ruthless henchmen - which inspired me to learn more.

Of course there was also the strangely compelling figure of the artist/revolutionary Marcos whose communiques were unlike anything I had read before.

A very strong elixir for a young mind.

With more years behind me and greater maturity - along with, it's to be hoped, wisdom - the drama of mask and rifle (a harsh necessity and not a fashion choice for the Zapatistas) lost its allure and their attempts to find an alternative way of governing grabbed my attention and has not let go.

Building an alternative to the present global cock-up requires a similar willingness to experiment and will be closer to the subtlest and most startling kinds of art than engineering (the model many theoreticians and activists employ - though they don't know it).

DRM