[lbo-talk] Re: postmodern prince

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Dec 1 13:46:48 PST 2003

Miles writes:

"Why do you think understanding society is so easy that people can do it by relying on everyday concepts and knowledge? That's like saying somebody can understand the structure of the solar by applying common-sense words like "sunrise" and "sunset"."

The difference is that human beings have not built the solar system, but they have created social structures and institutions. If we cannot find a common language with which to describe the social structures and institutions we want to build, then there is no hope.

I believe we can find that language and I believe that it is the most pressing duty of those who call themselves intellectuals to help us in that endeavor.

Joanna