[lbo-talk] Re: Bolshevik-Bashing -- The Point

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 21:55:08 PST 2003

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote: .> between the USA, where all currents of the left have
> been weaker than
> almost anywhere else since the Red Purge, and
> Western Europe, where
> both the Communist and non-Communist left have been
> far stronger than the USA, is still stark.

In France, for example, it was the bourgeoisie that sold out the country. The communists emerged from the United Front as patriots. In the United States, the Communist Party USA lost its definition. I recall reading in Peggy Dennis' autobiography about how a lot of CP who were in trade union leadership positions found it difficult, if not impossible, to take up struggles against the government, etc, after having quieted any criticisms during the United Front.

As you might know, the CPUSA came out against strikes, most notably strikes by the UMWA, because they would have hurt the war effort. In other words, the CPs in other countries came out of the United Front as leaders, whereas the CPUSA tailed and came out in a much weaker position.

Of course, in this weakened position, they were dead meat when McCarthyism took root.

===== <<You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals So let's do it like they do it on the Discovery Channel>>

Bloodhound Gang, "The Bad Touch"