[lbo-talk] postmodern prince

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Dec 2 06:11:26 PST 2003

Miles writes:

"Why do you think understanding society is so easy that people can do it by relying on everyday concepts and knowledge? That's like saying somebody can understand the structure of the solar by applying common-sense words like "sunrise" and "sunset"."

The difference is that human beings have not built the solar system, but they have created social structures and institutions. If we cannot find a common language with which to describe the social structures and institutions we want to build, then there is no hope.

I believe we can find that language and I believe that it is the most pressing duty of those who call themselves intellectuals to help us in that endeavor.

Joanna

^^^^^^^^^ CB: Also, we have a lot of the language and concepts already - class, working class, bourgeoisie, private property, et al. - but the mass understanding of the truth about our social structures and institutions poses a threat to the establishment, and so the ruling class proliferates obfuscation about things. The average person could understand a Communist Party program for change and its language, but they are from birth subject to propaganda aimed at confusing the issues.

It's not so much that we don't have the simple words to communicate the truth as that liars control the means of mass communication and education.