[lbo-talk] Re: State Autonomy (was Thanksgiving)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:49:07 PST 2003

Brian:
> Also, minorities have a better chance to secure their rights under the
present system.
> Imagine African-Americans or queers having to wage 50 battles to
secure equal rights. At
> least with the "full faith and credit" clause and federal legistlation
there is a hope for
> equality.

That would be a wrong strategy, reminiscent of identity politics. Minorities would have a better chance to join forces with progressive or even libertarian efforts to take control of progressive or libertarian leaning states. After all, the key "minority question" is the freedom from discrimination by the state or the majority - which is the essence of both progressive and libertarian ideologies - rather than creating ethnic enclaves or minority Bantustans.

Stated differently, the idea of Black nationalism (expressed, for example by the nation of islam) would work only if (1) it attracted sufficient majority of the Black population and (2) there was already a state leaning in that direction. I do not think that either of these conditions obtains.

Broadly defined ideologies, such as libertarianism, social democracy, or christinaity have a better chance of attracting broad support and serving as leading ideologies in setting state policies. Narrowly defined identities lack that capacity.

Wojtek