[lbo-talk] RE: The postmodern prince

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Dec 2 08:56:13 PST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Jon Johanning wrote:

> Also, pace the Marxist true believers, neither they nor anyone else
> currently has a scientific understanding of human society that is
> anywhere near as advanced as physics is. Scientific sociology just is
> not needed for political action; what's needed is the ability to
> organize a powerful enough army for change that you can defeat the
> reactionary camp. And to do that, you have to be able to communicate
> with the masses, which is a talent that few academics have, sad to say.

I understand the fact that political action and a scientific study of society are not closely linked. However, you're beating academics up for not communicating like political activists. Of course most academics don't have a talent for communicating with the masses--that's why they became academics! --Isn't it possible for academics to do interesting and important scientific work that is not overt political mobilization?

Miles