[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 2 11:28:03 PST 2003

I think the reason that Chomsky thinks that theory (under his strict definition) is possible in the physical sciences and not in the "human sciences" is that the latter are dealing with much more complex matters. Quantity becomes quality, and electrons have a low IQ. That's why he thinks we learn more about human psychology from 19th-century novels than from all of modern psychological theorizing. --CGE