[lbo-talk] ERISA

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Tue Dec 2 19:49:18 PST 2003

first, thanks for help on my previous question. To clarify, what I'm really thinking about negotiating is something I'd been offered a while ago: royalties or commissions. Bonuses isn't really apt here. It's a classic piece of intellectual property. Once I create it, it can faily easily be modified only slight and sold to 10, 100s, 1000s of clients. And, indeed, the whole thing was my suggestion and it turns out it's going to be a major focus since we rec'd a huge response for this product at a recent trade show.

If anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks to Michael Perelman, btw, for reminding me that I should cover my tail in the event I leave the company but still turned over the deliverable. I'll be sure to write up a contract that requires payment upon delivery--which is monthly.

Anyone who wants to blow some time advising me how to tactfully but firmly negotiate a substantial raise, feel free! Book recommends? :) Justin was one hellah helpful the other day but words of wisdom from those who've done it before would be greatly appreciated.

Now for another question which Justin and I discussed a bit. I rec'd a retirement benefit under ERISA. If an employer, even one this small, offers a retirement plan for himself and his spouse, then he has to provide same to employees. (it's an INC. business--and I guess that matters here)

One important point: this company is so small that none of this is written down. There's no committee that runs the benefits plan. We fly by the seat of our pants... If there was a committee, the task would probably be dropped in my lap anyway! WEll, not for much longer since we're writing a job description and my foot's been firmly planted for a long ass time: no, i'm not working for free!

Am I right to assume that the same applies if the employer provides himself, spouse, family a health insurance plan. Can't imagine any reason why he'd pay out of pocket as an individual and not pay as an INC and deduct it.

http://law.wustl.edu/WULQ/76-1/761-21.html#IIB

. Business Owners

The ERISA status of business owners continues to be problematic. Labor Department regulations provide that a benefit program that covers only individuals who own, or whose spouses own, an interest in an unincorporated business (as partner or proprietor) is not a "plan" subject to federal regulation, but ERISA does apply if one or more common law employees is a participant.[101] To avoid distortions in the choice of business form, if a corporation is wholly owned by an individual (or by an individual and his or her spouse), a benefit program that does not cover any other employee is also exempt from ERISA.[102] These limitations can make federal benefit protections turn on the sometimes difficult distinction between a common law employee and a service partner. <...>

ERISA applies if a benefit plan covers at least one common law employee along with business owners.