[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 07:18:01 PST 2003

Why dont you ask him directly if you dont follow it? He does take ample time to respond to email and I would be surprised if he didnt answer yours. In any event, there is nothing shallow about saying that theory is an a strong word for the types of reasoning and evidence capable of being offerered in most of social science, especially when contrasted with natural science. Capital is obviously an important work but do you really imagine it is a theory comparable to work in the natural sciences in terms of available evidence, falsification criteria and so on?

For my part, though I commonly work with social science 'theories' and call them that, I see his point.

Dave

> This would throw, oh just to pick a random example,
> most of Marx's Capital out the window. So all the
phenomenal categories of visible capitalism - wages, interest, profit, dividends, rent - are all you need to know, and their sources and uses completely transparent to the uneducated eye. How can such a smart man make such a deliberately shallow argument? Doug