[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Wed Dec 3 08:08:01 PST 2003

At 07:47 AM 12/3/03 -0800, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>I don't know if Chomsky's missing the point, as Doug
>and Kelley say, or if we're missing the point as Dave
>Dorkin suggests but consider...
>

>As many others have said, among the *hard* sciences*
>physics has been one of the most successful.

here's a thought to ponder: one of the criticisms against this "success" argument is that

1. the human sciences *are* successful. what happens, however, is that they ideas become part of common sense and that changes the way people behave. it also means that what sociologists sometimes say seems so much like "common sense"!

2. hard science work because they work in "closed systems," not open systems as the human sciences do.

Now, if you're truly interested, I'll promise to unpack the 55 boxes of books in the next coupla months and explain some more. For now, you're a thoughtful fellah and I thought I bake you a cookie to chew on. :)

>This is a question posted for debate not a statement
>of belief one way or the other. I'm curious to learn
>what examples can be offered and in what ways my
>premise is flawed.

ditto. :)