[lbo-talk] Re: Like Wow, Dude, Let's All Move to Canada

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 3 09:33:27 PST 2003

mike larkin wrote:

>I don't know much about Canada, but this is an excellent
>point (although I'm not sure I'd characterize Canada as
>"far to the left" of the U.S).

Canada is "far to the left" like ancient Greece was "far to the left" Rome (they were holding the map upside down).

Doug made a humorous post about Canada being a free rider on US imperialism. True. Still, out of contradictions come positive things.

But the CCF didn't do it alone. Thinking that Canada was made because of what the CCF did is not going to end up being good for no one. CCF's child, the NDP, is on the death bed. There's a reason for that: They don't talk about issues that matter. And they can't speak in a voice that is modern (also, problem with the Saskatchewan roots and the urban roots; Layton will have that problem, too).

But if they did speak in a modern voice, they'd be chastised by the "leftier than thou."

I actually had the NDP as a client, once upon a time. From my limited experience, they are staffed by career party staff just like the other parties. And they make stupid decisions like the other parties.

The CCF was Tommy Douglas country. He spoke with authority because he was for real. Like Joey Smallwood. Really from there. Tommy's grandson is Kiefer Sutherland, btw.

Ken.

-- The nature of things is in the habit of concealing itself.

-- Heraclitus