[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 09:39:24 PST 2003

I'm not sure what extra training he needed that he didnt have when he read Derrida's Of Grammatology for example. Does facility with the arguments mean agreeing with them? As I said, he doesnt think mush of this particularly worth his time in print and refers to Chris Norris & others on related topics if pple are interested. I dont know what you mean about presenting his opinion as if it isnt arguable without loads of evidence (I dont do that personally about flat earthers myself)

I dont demand that you demonstate anything about Chomsky, I am suggesting that he is a whole lot sharper than you are implying here, knows philosophy and social science unbelievably well and knows many of the people in question personally so I'd think twice about my own position before saying that he was clueless. If you want more information on his position, ask him. I dont understand why there is so much reluctance to engage directly with him and instead there are comments about him not getting it. Why dont you have at it with him and see what he gets. As for statistical theory, I'm not sure what you mean exactly re social science getting its scientific wings, but having worked a little with econometrics myself, I'm smiling.

Dave