[lbo-talk] Work and Worker

Kenneth Campbell kkc at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 3 10:14:03 PST 2003

Doug wrote:

>I keep hoping people will adopt my slogan, but they don't:
>protect the worker, not the job.

I do, sure.

The "worker" is the person. You are making the distinction by saying the job is different than the person. Fuck the job. The right to the income is the point, where ever one gets shifted by economic forces. (The very fact you were born means some "inheritance." Argue with me about "property rights" and "first possession", I dare you!)

My father was as working class as they come. He didn't like being called "a worker." That meant he was defined by his job. We aren't all lucky enough to be happy with our jobs.

But there is a flip side. The "rule of law" is about the job, not the worker. Strict performance. The "worker" in the governor's chair is a worker. And he/she better get used to that idea.

I agree with the revolutionary idea from the Scottish Enlightenment that we are informed by our occupations, but let's not over do it.

Ken.

-- We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys.

-- Eric Hoffer