[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

dave dorkin ddorkin1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 10:14:13 PST 2003

I dont believe that a 21th century translation of the parts of capital that actually are like what Michael describes are so hard to grasp. Marx's 'theory' can be said briefly and minus the negation of the negation etc, I think it is more evidence in chomsky's favor. I have no animus to stating one's assumptions and so on but calling everything that moved a "theory" has had some unfortunate effects in the acadmeny and beyond.

Dave

> I'll be most readers - most educated readers - would
> find vol. 1 of Capital pretty rough going. And that
was the vol. that Marx finished.He didn't just observe. He linked his observations to a theory, and the theory illuminated his observations. Even the most

anti-theoretical person operates with some kind of implicit theory. Why the hostility to making it explicit? Doug