[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 3 12:22:22 PST 2003

Chomsky contrasts theory ("something with principles which are not obvious [and] from which you can deduce surprising consequences, check out the consequences, and then confirm the principles"), which he thinks is possible if difficult in the physical sciences, with "smart ideas," which he thinks is the best one can do in the "human sciences" (a phrase I'd doubt he'd use): "Somebody could ... say, Why don't you look at class struggle? It's interesting. Or, Why don't you look at economic factors lying behind the Constitution? ... Those are interesting smart ideas."

A social science that can aspire to interesting smart ideas like that would not have much to apologize for. "There are interesting, simple ideas. They're often hard to come up with, and they're often extremely hard to work out ... what actually happened, say, in the modern industrial economy and how it developed the way it is. That can take a lot of work."

A couple of books by you, say. --CGE