[lbo-talk] Bush Post '04: A Nightmare Scenario

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 12:33:23 PST 2003

Mike Larkin posted:

http://counterpunch.org/stanton12032003.html

from which...

Bush's Operation Clean Sweep A Nightmare Scenario

By JOHN STANTON

Even though Bush II will lose the popular vote in the US presidential election of 2004, his electoral college victory seems assured.

<snip> ========================

Stanton's scenario is so white-hot with the dark light of impending disaster that I'm tempted to dismiss it as the storyline of Tom Clancy's next novel or a SquareSoft vid game.

Temptation, in this case, may need to be resisted however.

Mr. Stanton projects the following after a Bush *re-election* in '04:

1.) A return to the draft

2.) An attack on Syria

3.) The relocation of the Palestinians to a portion of defeated Syria

4.) A simultaneous attack upon Iran

5.) An attack (also simultaneous) upon N. Korea

6.) Chinese seizure of Taiwan in return for non-intervention in the U.S. assault on N. korea

7.) In Columbia, full-scale war upon the FARC and indigenous movements.

8.) The toppling of Hugo Chavez in Venezula.

9.) The (*likely*) toppling of the governments of Cuba and Libya.

No one can know if these things will or will not happen.

What we do know is that the Bush administration has a program in motion as we speak which, if they retain power in '04, will continue to roll noisily and violently downhill in some form.

Of course, if this is the shape of the immediate future we can look forward to a sort of high-tech dark ages. At least until the petroleum *peaks* and tupperware costs 100 dollars a bowl. Or so some say.

I wonder though, as we plan and work, in various ways, to de-fang these dire wolves has anyone given thought to likely second term scenarios should they retain - by fair means or foul - the seat of empire?

DRM