[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:09:13 PST 2003

from the examples he gives, I think what Chomsky means by a simple idea is first of all that it's not a theory. I think he would consider his fundamental insights about language (e.g., so-called innateness) simple ideas, although his work has clearly been an attempt to fashion some theories about language.

He has claimed that for almost all the subjects his MIT colleagues work on, he can find someone who can give him a straightforward and simple account of what they think. That that cannot be done for what some literary scholars have been calling theory for a generation is for him an indication that there is something profoundly wrong with it. And that seems plausible to me. --CGE