[lbo-talk] Re: complex, theory, etc

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Wed Dec 3 13:41:20 PST 2003

I tend to agree with chomsky on this, but maybe it's because of a bias against the over-use of words like complex, which is repeatedly tripping off the tongues of politicians who wiggle out of answering questions by saying they are "complex" issues, meaning they understand but mere mortals can't be given a relatively simple answer...and by scholars and alleged experts who use the word to mean that you mortals can't understand this because it is too complicated, involved and needs too much study - which I am capable of , because I have the time and brains, and you have neither..

of course there is much that can be learned by probing deeply, beneath the surface of issues and subjects that benefit from being studied , and this is not to deny that fact, but only to criticize the overuse of the word(s) which can also lead to the overuse of the practice: this must be studied deeply, worked on intellectually, or nothing can be done about changing the situation...to use a simple, non-complex expression, I think that's bullshit...practice comes first, theory follows...

this may have something to do with whether the word was the beginning, as in some scriptural interpretation, the deed was the beginning - more likely - or most likely of all, that the one cannot be separated from the other...

fs