[lbo-talk] RE: productivity

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Wed Dec 3 15:54:55 PST 2003

Doug writes: "It's not counter-intuitive - there's no doubt that production is rising much faster than employment. But the numbers are outlandishly high - so high that they're hard to believe. Almost 16% gain in durable manufacturing? Infuckingcredible, really. Profits are up, but not *that* much. Where are all these wonderful gains going? I think they're underestimating labor inputs (i.e., unpaid work)."

Absolutely. I just got through writing my manager a letter, saying basically "I can't keep it up. I just can't." I mean, I work fast, I work hard, I work efficiently...but I hit the wall a while back. There's a lot of people in my situation. Needless to say, no one belonging to the professional cadre in IT gets paid for overtime. At this point, I could plaster my wall with worthless stock options. It's not even funny anymore.

Joanna