[lbo-talk] Perlstein on the "Wal-Mart voters"

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Dec 3 16:29:29 PST 2003

JW Mason wrote:
> What it means in practice is that the state makes no effort
> to protect, subsidize or otherwise prop up declining
> industries. Instead it focuses on providing income support,
> training and other assistance to displaced workers until
> they find equally desirable jobs elsewhere. The model is
> the Swedish active labor market policy. It's a slogan fairly
> narrowly tailored to be a response to protectionism. It
> speaks to workers in industries like steel and autos who
> feel (rightly in the current scheme of things) that their
> wellbeing is closely tied up with the health of those industries.
>
> Not a comprehensive program for the left, but then, not
> every slogan needs to be.

Hey, I'm not knockin' it! If we could get all that passed, it'd be a welcome BFD.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!