[lbo-talk] please, ralph, NOOO!!!

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Dec 3 18:11:10 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 3, 2003, at 08:21 PM, Lance Murdoch wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
>> http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/articles/2003/12/03/
>> nader_is_said_to_consider_a_2004_run/
>>

> Being that half of eligible voters don't vote, I always wonder why some
> Democrats are obsessed with the 1-2% of people who vote for a party to
> the
> left of the Democrats.
>
> It's perfectly obvious. These DLC "new" Democrats are perfectly happy
> with half of Americans, mostly poor and working class Americans, being
> disengaged from politics. That's where they want them to be. Which is
> why they spend all of their time attacking a grassroots, bottom up
> party
> that embodies progressive principles, instead of being just one of the
> two
> heads on the Republicrat body. You see this over on Democratic
> Underground - thread after thread about the danger of the Greens, but
> very
> little worried about the half of Americans who do not vote. Americans
> who
> might vote when they learn that unlike the Democrats, Greens have
> reparations for slavery, gay marriage, and the like in their platform,
> and
> a candidate who actually says in general speeches "repeal Taft-Hartley"
> (when was the last time a Democrat said that)?

you're barking up the wrong tree. i voted for nader in 2000. i don't even regret the vote, but the guy has failed us. where was that movement he was going to be building? where's that green party activism? the guy got 2.7% of the vote, wrote a book, then vanished for three years. now he wants me to vote for him *again*? i don't think so.