[lbo-talk] The postmodern prince

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Dec 4 08:55:58 PST 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Dwayne Monroe wrote, quoting NC:

> My response so far has pretty much been to
> reiterate something I wrote 35 years ago, long before
> "postmodernism" had erupted in the literary
> intellectual culture: "if there is a body of theory,
> well tested and verified, that applies to the conduct
> of foreign affairs or the resolution of domestic or
> international conflict, its existence has been kept a
> well-guarded secret," despite much "pseudo-scientific
> posturing."
>
> To my knowledge, the statement was accurate 35 years
> ago, and remains so; furthermore, it extends to the
> study of human affairs generally, and applies in
> spades to what has been produced since that time.

So Kel was right: NC doesn't know what he's talking about here. There are no well tested and verified theories about "human affairs"?! For Noam, the fields of psychology, sociology, and anthropology apparently do not exist, and theories in these fields supported by hundreds if not thousands of studies do not exist. Man, he needs to get out more.

Miles