[lbo-talk] Re: Beaten Black Man's Death a Homicide (Cincinnati)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 4 12:24:18 PST 2003

Dear List:

Wojtek writes:

> I think that NAACP and other "black civil rights groups" would spend their resources more effectively if they focused on changing the behavior of certain black males instead of crying "wolf" each time these
males get in trouble with the law.

What specific behavior are you referring to? And is this behavior specific only to black males? The purpose of the NAACP (as far as I know) is to advocate for the equality treatment of people of color. I do not know of any unique behavior among African American males that shojuld lead to bias.

> I understand that there is a lot of racial prejudice in this society, but these males work very hard to keep
that prejudice alive by serving as examples of it.

Black males are not engaging in any behavior that any other males are not also engaging in as well. What keeps prejudice is the ignorance and hatred of whites. White people are hating black maless because they are black, not because of any specific behavior.

> I think that the "black leadership" utterly failed to recognize and change that behavior. Instead, they put their heads in their asses trying to blame "the man."

Well, the man has a hell of a lot that he is to be blamed for. The Middle Passge. Slavery. Jim Crow. Segregation. Lynchings. Disinvestment in minority communities. We are celebtrating this week because Sylvester Croom wass named head coach at Mississippi State University, the first black coach in the 75-year history of the SEC. Sadly, he is only one of four black head coaches in NCAA Division I football which has 117 teams.

> But he seemingly failed to transform the knee jerk reaction of the black establishment, which is manufacturing excuses and blaming everyone around them (the ridiculous attempt to sue the gun industry is a case in point) instead of working to change behavior that fuels racist stereotypes.

The black community will stop manufacturing excuses as soon as white folk stop manufacturing racism. LOL.

As far as suing the gun industry -- why not? If we sue companies that pollute the environment, why not sure gun manufacturers who pollute society as well and skirt laws to do it? On the one hand you say the black community should be more responsible, but then turn around and let gun makers off the hook. Why?

> Let's see. A guy high on cocaine and other drugs goes into a fast food restaurant and starts trouble. The management calls the cops. The guy starts a fight with the cops and since cocaine is known to cause uncontrollable aggressive behavior, the cops use force to subdue him. The guy has a bad heart and dies. The NCAAP and other groups put it under the rubric of "racism" and "police brutality" - which implies that the guy's behavior was OK by "black" standards, while the police action was not.

There is no implication that this behavior was correct. That is your inference based on your own mindset.

> With the NAACP condoning the behavior that enacts a racist stereotype of an "irrational violent black male" in this manner, who needs the KKK anymore?

The NAACP is merely questioning the amount of force used. Questioning a response to an action does not necessarily mean that the original is condoned.

> After 11+ years of living in inner city Baltimore, I've seen enough to stop whining about "police brutality." In fact, I feel much safer when I see police arresting drug-crazed and violent hoodlums.

After nearly a lifetime in the inner city, I have to say that the black folk I know are equally glad when the police arrest drug dealers and hoodlums. The problem is getting the police to listen to our complaints and take action. I may be misunderstanding you, but you seem to believe that black people actually like to live with drug dealers and hoodlums in their midst.

Also, black folk would like to be arrested with the same procedures as they arrest white Wall Street types or those living in the suburbs. Not special treatment, but equal treatment.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister