RES: RES: [lbo-talk] KPRF

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 02:34:06 PST 2003

>From: "Alexandre Fenelon" <afenelon at zaz.com.br>

>-What are the ideological differences between KPRF, United Russia and
>Mother
>-land. If I´ve been not misunderstanding you, it seems the three parties
>-have very similar programs(?)

UR doesn't really have an ideology; they vote the way the Kremlin tells them to. Their ideology is carrying out Putin's program, which is why their election slogan is "A uniited Russia is a stong Russia. Together with the president!"

Their election poster has generated a lot of crap reporting in the West because it has a photo of Stalin on it. One photo out of a mosaic of probably over a hundred, including Sakharov.

The KPRF and Motherland's programs are actualyl practically almost the same; return of the oligarchs' wealth to the people, high rents on superprofits from natural-resource exports to invest into other aspects of the economy, higher pensions and wages, a strong army. Actually Glazyev has been accused of forming Motherland at Kremlin request to siphon off votes from the KPRF.

Russian TV, which is state-controlled, is extremely biased against the KPRF. It's like 7 pro-UR comments and 2 anti-KPRF comments per hour, every hour. UR, despite being the largest party in terms of Duma seats, has refused to take part in any policy debates.

The elections are Sunday. There is a chance that Yabloko and the Union of Right Forces won't clear the 5% bar. This would cause a real move in the Slavophile direction.

_________________________________________________________________ Shop online for kids’ toys by age group, price range, and toy category at MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com