[lbo-talk] Any Political Rhetoric Alienates Self-Abosrbed

Westrich, James james.westrich at umassmed.edu
Fri Dec 5 08:42:35 PST 2003

I admit I do not read this kind of article much but this has got to be the worst hatchet job I have ever seen. Not to say this little show was that great but the smarmy tone and the choice to only get the completely clueless opinions of self-absorbed hipsters was too much. Oh, the complaints were contradictory as well. Cognitive dissonance does strange things to the self-obsessed apparently.

Thanks for completely wasting 15 minutes of my life. I hope you are not suggesting that this was anything remotely resembling the general reaction.

For anyone who actually was at the shows, not looking to tear it down, saw a good but not great effort to mix entertainment and politics (the eclecticism, both politically and musically, was a little forced so Jill Sobule's wan humor played the best).

I love it how explicitly left *ENTERTAINERS* are criticized for not having all the facts when Salon *JOURNALISTS* cannot even bother to get facts remotely correct. It was obvious that the large majority of the Boston audience enjoyed themselves and a lot of people stopped by the myriad of organization tables.

Jim

She'd given everything she could give Twenty years of kindness made her sad Kindness never made enough to live So she sold the very last thing that she had

As she held her hand out to him As he drove around the block He mouthed through the window 'just hold on' 'I've held on many years now and I haven't found a lot' Hold on, hold on to what?

--Paul Heaton