[lbo-talk] Re: Beating to Death of a Black Man (Cincinnati)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 5 14:41:49 PST 2003

BklynMagus wrote:

> > Our community activists do not defend criminals who got raw treatment, but rather take on slumlords, speculators, and unresponsive city officials.
>
> In Harlem and Brooklyn (the two communities I am most involved with) we do both. I have found that it is the white gentrifiers who move in who are untroubled by police brutality. Like capitalists everywhere, they want their property vlaues protected and the underclass, if not removed from sight, at least tamed so they cause no disruptions in the gentrifiers' lives of placid consumption.

At the time of Lin Piao's defection, Mao remarked, "There are some political mistakes so deep that the person can't change." (Paraphrased from memory.) There are some whites whose racism is so deep and entrenched that nothing can touch it. And sure touchstone of this deep racism is the demand that blacks take special responsibility for the errors or crimes of other blacks. The late and quite unlamented slimeball Mike Royko developed this dodge to the point of perfection. Wojtek is almost as clever at it.

For a long time I thought this sort of garbage from Wojtek merely reflected a lamentable ignorance of u.s. history in general and u.s. left and working-class history in particular. But I think is pure overt red-neck racism.

Faugh! The flesh creeps.

Carrol