[lbo-talk] US Army Will Remain in Iraq after Transfer of Power: Bremer

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Dec 6 08:53:51 PST 2003

Last Update: Sunday, December 7, 2003. 0:00am (AEDT)

US army will remain in Iraq after transfer of power: Bremer

American troops will stay in Iraq to help ensure stability even after power is transferred to Iraqis by the end of next June, according to US chief civil administrator Paul Bremer.

"The Iraqi Government and the Governing Council and the transition government will express their desire that the coalition forces continue to help after July next year because the Iraqi security forces will not be ready by then," Mr Bremer told a coalition run television channel Al-Iraqiya.

"And I am sure that is what will happen," he said.

"At the moment we do not have agreement, but we have informed the Governing Council we intend to sign an agreement which allows coalition forces to continue to help Iraq to defend itself and to defend itself against former regime members after July 1."

Negotiations on an agreement for US forces to remain in the country would begin in January Mr Bremer said.

"The transition government and coalition forces will reach an agreement and under this agreement the transition government will invite the coalition forces to help the Iraqi people in their war against their enemies and international terrorists.

"I am sure we will make this agreement before June next year."

Mr Bremer went on to say Iraqis wanted US forces to stay.

"If we look at the opinion polls published in Iraq we see very clearly that a majority, 95 per cent of the Iraqi people, welcome the liberation of Iraq from the tyranny of Saddam.

"A great majority of the Iraqi people still welcome the presence of the coalition force and its help to stabilise Iraq because of the dangers presented by some members of the former regime," he said.

--AFP

<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1004898.htm> -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>